Animal Rescue Loss Run Analysis Reduced Workers Comp Reserves – Short Deadline
We reduced Workers Comp reserves for an Animal Rescue and Veterinary in 30 days by 300,000 was one of our most recent successes. How do we do it? Follow along – maybe you can do it for your company or client.
Making available more funds to help save kittens and puppies felt great – using the below semi-secret method. An agent contacted me to help her with a large client where their Experience Mod was going to incur a sky-high spike. Yikes!
Self-insureds can use the same techniques – the timing can be adjusted to whenever you have an LDF calculated for you.
The Method To The Madness – 10 Steps (Two Bonus)
- Obtaining the correct loss runs – the agent and I could not obtain the correct loss runs for many weeks. Three different versions of the claims loss run existed with different claims on them.
- Online Access – I have been harping on having the claims reserves and notes access for over 25 years. The agent and I were able to obtain an online account with the correct info. You can print your own loss runs if you have an online account with the carrier. We received this two weeks before the UNIT STAT date.
- Understand Your UNIT STAT Date. You have to know what reserves peg to the Experience Mod and on what date. Follow this link for an explanation of the UNIT STAT date. So many end-of-year or end-of-policy-year reviews can be very worthless.
- Understanding What To Leave In – What To Leave Out – many claim loss run review requests from employers and agents say – “Hey, let’s review them all” – the wrong method. As a claims person for many years, reserves increases were sometimes caused after having to review a set of claims for an insured and/or agent. Let some sleeping dogs lie (no pun intended), but which ones to pick and which ones to pass over?
- These &^%$& Reserves Are Too High – the bane of many adjusters – the same as #4, but on an individual claims basis. The comment will usually cause an adjuster to dig their heels in the ground and push back hard. Threatening to bring up the reserving with their claims supervisor is not recommended.
- Look For The Algorithms- if you have claims notes and reserve access, many claims departments have some type of tracking algorithm (analytics) that may point out over-reserving. You are not going to find this info on just a claims loss run. J&L has its own algorithm – it is called workers comp claims experience.
- Relationships, relationships, and relationships – the most important of these ten. The agent had a working relationship of sorts with the claims adjuster. Even though we were running out of time, the agent never challenged the claims adjuster. <<very important point.
- Employers and agents, do you know who is working on what files – no, not the name on the loss run – have you spoken with that adjuster – best by email. See #7 – do not come out of the blue and make the request.
- Explain Your Goal – adjusters are goal setters and seekers – explain to them what you are doing by having the reserves reduced and the results you are seeking.
- Pick The Top Three – a huge insured may want to pick five. Workers Comp claims adjusters are short on time. Make sure that you do not ask for 10 – 15 claims to be reviewed for reserve reductions. That request will go to the bottom of the pile and then the UNISTAT Date will pass and your efforts to have reduced workers comp reserves will all be in vain.
- Bonus – Show The Insured The Experience Mod Differences – calculate what the Mod would have looked like without the reduction. This can be complicated – be careful.
- Bonus #2 – Try to start the process at least 90 days before the UNISTAT Date. Reserve reductions may have to go through a Claims VP, Manager, and Supervisor to approve reduced workers comp reserves. Start early.
The Results Of The Reduced Workers Comp Reserves
The final results will not be known until the UNIT STAT publish date. The final results of the reduced workers comp reserves should be published in December of this year.
Make sure that you convert the differences in #11 above to premium dollars if possible. Reduced workers comp reserves are great. The final effect on the premiums is even better.
©J&L Risk Management Inc Copyright Notice.