Workplace Transportation Incidents Account
Workplace transportation incidents = 40% of fatalities according to the BLS. The Bureau of Labor Statistics recently released various studies on Workplace Fatalities. An article was published earlier this year on The 25 Most Dangerous Jobs The numbers below are preliminary. The statistics are usually changed slightly as the numbers are verified by BLS.Some of the eye-opening statistics gleaned from the data are:
- 40% of workplace fatalities are transportation-related as defined by BLS.
- Information service providers was the safest sector with a fatality rate of .8% of all fatalities
- 9% of fatalities were due to on-the-job homicide.
- 93% of all fatalities were male.
- 25% were in the age group of 45 – 54.
- 89% occurred in the private sector.
The workplace transportation incident -related fatalities required a little more research as the transportation-related incidents also included:
- Fatal occupational injuries resulting from being struck by a vehicle.
A partial breakdown of the transportation group which totaled 1,740 incidents was:
- 991 that were roadway incidents involving motorized land vehicle
- 223 resulting from non–roadway incidents involving motorized land vehicle
- 284 pedestrian incidents
The numbers will be updated once BLS finalizes their statistics.
©J&L Risk Management Inc Copyright Notice